Saturday, June 21, 2008

Agressive Yorkie

I love to grill out on my patio during the summer. I was grilling dinner one night and witnessed first hand how one's actions can cause a reaction. I opened the door to go to the grill and my eight-pound Yorkie, Surrobbie, bolted past me. She was so fast that she was in the middle of the front yard before I even knew what was happening. I had not noticed the woman walking by with her Standard Poodle. Surrobbie was on that poodle barking and biting. The poodle stood there for a second and then in one graceful move chomped down on Surrobbie. Surrobbie screamed and rolled over like she had been shot. I scooped her up and tried to apologize to the poodle owner who glared angrily at me. I took my wounded dog inside. The bite was only surface.

Most people don't realize how aggressive little dogs can be. I did Surrobbie a big disservice by not training her as a puppy not to be aggressive and not bolt when she has the opportunity. I am working with her and she is getting better, however it is a challenge to train an older dog new tricks. Although it can be done it would be easier to do it when they are puppies.

Here are some tips for training your Yorkie not to be aggressive so you won't have to worry about her hurting anyone or getting hurt.

Yorkshire Terriers - 5 Tips On How To Keep Your Yorkie From Being Aggressive
By Connie Ragen Green

Yorkshire terriers can become very aggressive if they are not trained well when they are young. This surprises many people because we all think of our Yorkie's as being very gentle. This is not always the case. Here are 5 tips on what to do to keep your Yorkie from becoming an aggressive pet.

* When you feed your dog, make sure to separate her from any other animals you have in your home. Yorkshire terriers may become aggressive towards other animals when there is food involved, no matter if they are hungry or not.
* Make sure your Yorkie has her own toys. This way she will know that she has things that belong only to her. Do not make her share her toys with your other pets or with dogs that come to visit.
* When other animals visit your home, make sure you hold your Yorkie and do not allow the other animals to run around loose in your home. Your dog knows that it is her home, and should not have to share it with strangers.
* Begin teaching good behavior when your Yorkshire terrier is a young puppy. It is much easier to teach a young dog than one who is older.
* When your Yorkie behaves in an aggressive manner, see what happened before you do anything. Try not to raise your voice and certainly do not hit your dog. If you stay calm you will be able to diffuse the situation much more easily.

Follow these tips and training your Yorkie will be much easier.

And now I invite you to find out more about training small and toy dogs such as Yorkshire Terriers and Maltese by visiting http://www.YorkshireTerriersAretheBest.com

No comments: