Saturday, June 7, 2008

Yorkies are the best

When I was ten years old my family got our first dog, a Manapoo. He was part Manchester and part Poodle. Today he would be a designer breed, then he was a mutt and my dad’s friend begged him to come get one of the eight puppies. I picked him out and named him Sandy, his fur was a light sandy color. He was an amazing dog and I loved him dearly. I still remember the day he died 14 years after we got him. I still miss that dog and he has been gone over 20 years.

When I was in my twenties I married a man whose family raised Yorkies. He had a Yorkie, Chessed, which was a larger Yorkie. Chessed died a year after we were married. The year Chessed died we received a Yorkie puppy from my husband’s sister as a Christmas gift. I just adored that little guy. I named him Christopher because he had to travel from Texas to Florida to live with us ( I thought of him as being an explorer). Unfortunately the husband got custody of Christopher in the divorce. I still miss him, the dog not the husband!

I didn’t have a dog for years, just too much going on in my life. In 1995 I felt the yearnings for a little something to take care of. Not a baby, but something. I decided it was time to get a Yorkie. My husband however put his foot down and said no dogs. I convinced him to just go look at a Yorkie puppy I found advertised in the paper. Of course we all know you can’t just go look at a puppy. One look and we both fell in love. I named him Muffassa after the Simba’s father in the Lion King. Muffassa was an amazing dog, so smart. He was also a pretty mean Yorkie and would bite when he didn’t get his way.

Three years after we got Muffassa I decided Muffassa needed a little friend. Muffassa didn’t agree however he learned to put up with Surrobbie, a little female we got from a breeder in Kansas. She was so ugly when we got her that I was convinced we were the only people on earth to ever have an ugly Yorkie puppy. She however grew to be the cutest thing ever born and I just adore her.

Sadly in 2005 we lost Muffassa to cancer. My husband and I were in Florida visiting my sister and her family during the Christmas holiday. Both my parents died in 2005 and my sister wanted me to be with her during our first Christmas without our parents. Two days after Christmas we got a call from the boarder that Muffassa had been rushed to the Animal emergency hospital. He was in critical condition and died later that day. We didn’t even know he was sick. To this day I can hardly think about him without crying. Sure do miss that little guy.

Four months after Muffassa died we decided to rescue a Yorkie so that Surrobbie would have a friend. She seemed so lost without Muffassa. It is a very long story but we ended up getting Lionel, a Yorkieish (more ish than Yorkie) male who had been saved from being put down at the local Dog Pound. We changed Lionel’s name to Buddy and he really is a Buddy. Buddy has issues that as I go along in my blog I will explain. However after two years he is doing much better and we have come to love him dearly.

We call our dogs Fur Children and treat them better than many non-fur children get treated. Both my husband and I adore them and they are part of our family.

Here’s to Yorkies
Rachelle

No comments: