Saturday, June 7, 2008

Training is Key

Buddy is a great example of how training is key. My husband and I rescued Buddy and although Buddy was 4 plus years old when we got him, he had never been trained to do basic dog things, like go potty outside. I have had people ask me "How can a dog that is four years old not know to go outside?" Easy! No one ever trained him.

Buddy worked with a private trainer for about six months and the results were amazing. He now knows what to do when he meets the Queen (he bows) and then he dances. He can shake hands, sit pretty and fall over on his side when I say bang. All of this training has assisted Buddy with his focus and has helped him calm down. As for the potty training he shows improvement every day and I am confident with continued training that will not be an issue soon. The key here is the training. Buddy isn't a dumb dog although he does have some challenges. He was never taught what to do, therefore, he doesn't know.

Here are a few tips I picked up from Buddy’s trainer that helped me help Buddy

Be consistent. Work with your Yorkie every day. The more you can get into a routine with the training the faster and easier it will be to get your Yorkie trained.

When training use treats, in the beginning the yummier the better. When I first started training Buddy we used Hot Dogs. Believe me I had his attention. As the training progressed I began using regular doggie biscuits.

Speak in a firm tone when giving commands. When I first started working with Buddy I would say “Staaaaaayyyyy?” like I was asking a question. Instead the command should be given firm and stated as a fact, “Stay.” Also when correcting your Yorkie do so in a firm voice. I would correct Buddy in my lovey dovey Mommy voice. All Buddy heard was “Bla, bla, bla, Buddy.” When you use an authoritative tone your Yorkie will know you mean business and pay attention.

Your training sessions with your Yorkie should be private. Just you and your Yorkie (and a trainer if you have one). Other people and fur children are too distracting. I tried to train Buddy when Surrobbie was around but she wanted all the attention and simply got in the way. When Buddy was in training my husband would take Surrobbie and entertain her.

Teach one trick or command at a time. Work with that trick or command until your Yorkie has it down and then move on to the next. Buddy was a quick study and could learn a trick in just a couple of days. If your Yorkie needs more time don’t rush. Just keep working on one trick or command until she has it down and then add the next trick or command.

You can teach your Yorkie to key on any word for any trick you want to however always use the same word for that particular trick. For example I taught Buddy to bow when he hears the word Queen. I taught his to shake paws with the word President. I actually did this so it would be more fun when Buddy is showing off his tricks to others. I will say to Buddy, “What do you do when you meet the President?” Buddy hears “Bla, Bla, Bla, President” and responds to President. Also after your Yorkie has performed the trick or command you say “Good President” or whatever the word for the trick or command is. That way she knows what she is being praised for.

Yorkies are the best
Rachelle

No comments: