Saturday, June 28, 2008

Safe Toys for Your Yorkies


Greetings:

One of the things that is important to provide your Yorkie with is safe toys. Yorkies like to play and chew and if they have something that is safe and fun it will entertain them for hours.

My Yorkies love stuffed toys. Muffassa especially loved the fluffy stuffed animals and would play with them for hours and often liked to sleep with them. He was so funny. He would bring a toy over to my husband or me to play with and if we didn't respond he would go get another toy and bring it over as if to say, "Hey if you don't like that one I got others." He would do that until we picked up the toy and tossed it for him. Because he was a chewer I made sure that any removable objects such as plastic eyes and noses were removed. Most of the stuffed animals Muffassa had were from garage sales. Muffassa and I were at a garage sale and I picked up a little stuffed bunny and I showed it to Muffassa and said, "Mommy is going to get this for you." The lady having the garage sale looked at me and said, "That was my babies toy and I don't want a dog playing with it." I just gave her a strange look and said, "I would never give this to a dog." She seemed relieved and took my quarter. As Muffassa and I were walking away I looked down at Muffassa and said, "Who was she calling a dog?" Muffassa had no idea because he didn't know he was a dog, as far as he knew he was a "fur child."

I also never give my Yorkies those thin plastic toys. Muffassa just made a meal out of them.

I have to watch Buddy with Tennis balls. He likes to eat the insides out of them. We now have several flat Tennis Balls.

I keep Buddy and Surrobbie's toys in a toy basket and they are free to go and choose whichever ones they like. Buddy usually has half a dozen balls rolling around the house at any given time. Surrobbie really isn't that crazy about toys although every once in a while she will go get one and play around with it.

I found an interesting blog all about Kong toys. My Yorkies are not really all that crazy about them, they get pretty bored when they can't get the treat out of them fairly easily. If you do get your Yorkie a Kong get the smallest one you can get. They also have the special treats that fit inside of them or you could fill the hole with peanut butter. My two like that the best, but of course it doesn't keep them busy for long.

Make sure the toy is safe, that your Yorkie can't chew a piece off of it and choke and that it is made with material that can easily be washed. I often put the stuff animals in the washer and the sturdy plastic toys in the dishwasher.

Rachelle

No comments: